Thursday, September 5, 2013

Incredible People, Incredible Words

Since arriving here in South Africa on August 23rd, I have met some pretty amazing people. They are full of wisdom, courage, joy, and so much more. I am constantly amazed at the words and phrases that come out of their mouths. Due to this wealth of knowledge that I have come across (and my handy-dandy little notebook), I have some awesome quotes to share from the last few weeks.

Note:  I did not keep track of who said what, so I will not give individual credit for each quote. However, please know that I did not (and probably could not) say anything nearly as incredible as these people.


“God is a God of time. He is not early or late.”

“We’re not here to fix Africa. We are here to listen, learn, and maybe go back and fix our own society and church.”

“The essence of traveling is not to find places that remind you of home. It is meant to expose you to different things and ways of life.”

“Motho o boteng” (In Setswana, this means “person is deep”)

“Time is an opportunity to strengthen/deepen a relationship.”

“In the US, the time determines the event. In Africa, the event determines the time.”

“When we don’t make time for God, time becomes our God.”

“I’m here to love God and my neighbor, whatever that means.”

“The problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete.”

“You are here to learn how to live with humanity.”

“Spend time with people. Even if they differ in color and culture, they are still in the image of God.”

“Out of every nonsense, there is a sense.”

No comments:

Post a Comment