Thursday, January 16, 2014

Aerobics

I think I have a love/hate relationship with my aerobics class.

I love it because it keeps me in shape. It gives me something to do every night from 6:30-7:30. Well, it actually keeps me busy until 8:00 because of the conversations after class. It has introduced me to incredibly strong, kind, and inspiring people. This class has finally given me a reason to actually wear the 15 pairs of athletic shorts I brought. My aerobics friends have helped me learn Sotho. Working out together has helped me strengthen bonds with co-workers. It lightens my mood. It helps me get out into the neighborhood. The class and the other attendees give me encouragement. My walk there allows me to see “my kids” playing in the street. My walk back allows me to appreciate the incredible kindness of my friends who always walk home with me to keep me safe, even though they live in the other direction. The prayer at the end of each class gives me spiritual refreshment.

I hate it because I am lazy sometimes and don’t feel like going. I sweat more than I think is necessary. I hate having to quit an exercise before I am done. It gets annoying when more people join our class and the space gets crowded. I hate that the things I hate are also things that I like and keep me going.


I guess when I put it that way, it’s more like I have a LOVE/hate relationship with my aerobics class.

No comments:

Post a Comment